Monday, March 30, 2015

Small changes Part 2: The Master Bedroom

In my last blog post, I mentioned that I have been working on making small changes in three rooms in our home.  The second room to receive some of those changes was the master bedroom.

Since moving into our home four and a half years ago, we (or I should say I) have painted every room in our house at least once.  Every room that is except the master bedroom.  The master was the last room I got to, and frankly by then I was just tired of painting.  So I tried to work with the existing color.  Not a color I would have chosen, but one I was hoping I could live with.  Gold.  I already had a navy and white duvet set and I found a picture in the Pottery Barn catalog that paired the blue and gold beautifully, so I chose to let that picture be my inspiration, and embraced the color pallet.  At least for the time being.  But as time went by, I found that I wasn't content with the pairing, so tried to soften the gold with small changes.  I painted the bed a soft Robin's egg blue. I liked the blue, but it didn't seem to have the softening effect on the room I was hoping for.  So a bit later I  painted the armoire.  I went with a kind of drift wood look using tans and grays.  I loved the way it turned out, but again, it didn't negate the glare of that gold.  Do you see the irony here?  In the time it took me to paint these pieces of furniture, I could have painted the walls in the bedroom... TWICE!!! So here I am, four and a half years later with paint roller in hand saying, "Enough is enough!  It's time to abandon ship! Time to get rid of the garish gold!!"

I have a navy rug I purchased for the space, and since I also have navy in the master bath, navy will be part of the color scheme. So that is my starting point.

After pealing through my Pinterest boards and looking at other bedrooms in magazines, I decide I want to go with a neutral for my walls to compliment the blue in the space and hopefully create a more serene and calming feel in the room.  I wanted a grayish, beige tone or"greige", so went with Sherwin Williams "Agreeable Gray".



To update the bedding, I purchased a new duvet and sham set that still had the blue, but also had the neutral beige and robin's egg blue I had been using as an accent color in the room already.


The final touch to the bedding was a simple handmade blue burlap pillow, personalized by my neighbor who has a monogramming business here in Jacksonville called Cricket and Frog.

This frame was purchased from Marshalls.  The picture in it was taken on our honeymoon.  I keep it on my husband's nightstand as a sweet reminder to him, now 34 years later.


The galvanized tray I have sitting on the trunk at the foot of the bed came from The Magnolia Market's online shop.








The sign came from my favorite artist, my sister.  You can purchase her wares from her Facebook shop called White Hen.







Although the changes are small, I think they make a huge difference in the room, and my husband
and I are both sleeping more peacefully in our serene space.










3 comments:

  1. Lovely! How nice that you found a duvet that paired the colors perfectly. The room is serene and peaceful just as you planned. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Robyn! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Debbie and Debi!! You both are always so sweet to comment. :-)

    ReplyDelete