Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Winter Woes

Living in Florida, we don't really have a dread of the onset of winter like folks up north might have.  In fact, for me winter is a nice break from the heat.  I can't wait for the weather to cool things off a bit so I can finally pull out my sweaters.  Any day below 70 degrees in Florida is an excuse to wear boots!  So for me, winter woes would be facing the fact that winter just doesn't come soon enough and doesn't stay as long as I would like.

In my home, the winter woes come from having to take the Christmas decorations down.  I try to put it off as long as I can!  I'm usually the last house on the street with Christmas lights still up.



In past years, I have used nature in my post-Christmas decor and this year is no exception.  A sweet addition I added this year was this white antique bowl that was recently given to me by my mother.  Growing up, it sat in our family room and had a matching pitcher that sat in it.  The pitcher met it's demise one day when a broom handle smashed into it.  I'm still not going to say who was holding the broom when it happened!  But my mom held on to the bowl all these years.  When cleaning out her garage recently, I came across it.  With my affinity for white dishes, I asked if I could have it.  I wasn't sure what I would do with it, but here is my first attempt to put it to good use.



I had some different orbs on hand that were made from grapevines that I purchased on clearance last year.  Some have a touch of glitter that make them feel wintery.  I added a few pine cones and moss orbs I made to fill the bowl and I put it on the coffee table.  Next to it I stacked a few books and atop of them I placed a couple candlesticks and a small apothecary jar filled with acorns.  Again, bringing in more nature into the space.


On the mantle, I kept it very simple.  I repotted a left over evergreen from Christmas and added a small white sign I made.  It's a good reminder as we begin another new year.



I like the blanket ladder.  This is a new addition.  I think blankets just say warm and cozy, don't you?  I love this way to display them.  It adds vertical interest, color and texture to the long wall without hanging artwork.



On top of my armoire in the living room, I have added a bucket of cotton stems.  Cotton is harvested in late fall in the south, so it makes for a wonderful natural addition to winter decor.



In the sunroom just off the living room, I used gum balls to add a touch of nature.  I picked these up from the sidewalk while out on a walk last year, so they have had a year to dry out.  I simply put them in a berry dish and let a few spill over on the small platter the dish is resting on.




On my small entry table, I have an apothecary jar filled with twigs.   I cut the sticks into 4 inch lengths. These too have had a couple years to dry out.  I added some twigs I purchased from Pottery Barn's after Christmas clearance table a couple years ago.  The PB twigs have touches of crystalized "snow" on them.  Added to the natural twigs, it makes the jar even more wintery.  On the wall above the table, I placed two small fern wreaths I purchased from Magnolia Market on a couple of the mirrors.  Layering items adds a bit of interest, color and texture to an otherwise flat arrangement.



In the dining room, I really kept it simple.  I literally moved the rustic tray I had on my coffee table and put it in the middle of the dining room table.   But like I've said before, when we move things around and use them in different areas of the house, they can look fresh and new again.  This bowl of pinecones was used this fall, Christmas, and now through out the winter.





In the kitchen I added a touch of winter by again using cotton.  It's snowy white balls are about as close to snow as we will get in the south.  The milk bottle was purchased in a little antique shop in Wisconsin while visiting my sister this past fall.  It bears the name of the city it was purchased in.  With the red touches I have in my kitchen, I was immediately drawn to this sweet little gem.  I sat the grouping atop a metal tray I punched from Magnolia Market.  The tray helps to define the space.





So whether you dread the long cold winter in the north, or wish it could last a bit longer in the south, you can still enjoy the warmth nature can bring to your home during those months.  And hopefully it will help melt away your winter woes.

     





No comments:

Post a Comment