Friday, June 6, 2014

I'm a Dirt Girl!

There are probably at least 1001 ways to categorize people.  My hubby always says people have at least one of these three qualities:  Time, Money or Dirt.  Time is someone who has administrative and organizational skills.  Money is someone fiscally strong by being great at budgeting or has strong entrepreneurial skills.  Dirt is someone who finds great satisfaction with working with their hands.  My hubby definitely is Time and Money.  While I do enjoy using my time spending the money he works hard to earn, my skills fall under the category of Dirt.  We jokingly say that I'm a "dirt girl". 

I love being outside working in the yard, getting my hands dirty.  To me, it's therapeutic!  What could be better for working out stress then pulling weeds while listening to the birds chirping?  Or drowning out all the noise of life with the hum of the lawn mower?   

 
In the four years we've been in our home, I have pretty much cleared everything that was in our yard, including the weedy lawn, and started over.  It's been a lot of fun, watching the yard evolve and grow.


 I felt, because my house is a Tudor Revival, it called for a bit of an English Garden feel.  When I think of an English Garden, I think of roses and topiaries.  Although I didn't completely embrace this style, I have traces of it in my tiny yard.



 
 
My back yard.
 





My potting bench that my hubby made for me, even though he doesn't fall into the "dirt" category.  :-)


I have no doubt as I grow in my skills in gardening, my yard will grow in it's beauty.  But in the mean while, I will enjoy working it, and getting my hands dirty doing it!

2 comments: