Saturday, May 2, 2015

Why did I think I could do this? A young photographer's look at her first family shoot.

I have recently found a new love.  Photography!  Saying I am a beginner to this new hobby is a gross understatement, but I am absolutely obsessed with it.  The more I learn, the more I desire to know.  And on the flip side of that, the more I do it, the more I realize I know NOTHING!  

Recently, I asked some sweet friends of mine if I could practice my photography on them, by taking family pictures at the beach.  Practice, being the operative word here!  Rather naively, they jumped at the chance.  What were they thinking, entrusting me to capture their sweet family in pictures?  What was I thinking, to actually imagine I could do this?  

See, this is where all the hours I spent, peeling over pins of beautiful beach pictures on Pinterest, was actually a very dangerous practice.  I studied them long enough I convinced myself I could actually recreate the beautiful shots that some well seasoned photographer, who has done it countless times, and who, by the way, is more than likely very proficient at Photo Shop, has captured.  Again, what was I thinking?

Let's talk about the variables.  First of all, a family of 5.  Five people, three of which are children, to have pleasant faces all at the same time.  Five people to know exactly where I want them to stand, where to put their hands, and where to look!  Secondly, the beach.  THE BEACH!  Yes, it's lovely, but let's think about this for a moment.  Breeze blowing the hair that has been so carefully fixed, sun in the eyes, shadows, PEOPLE!.  None of those pins I saw had those people at the beach, threatening the background of their shots!  Do these skilled photographers, pinning their portraits, have their own private beach?  A beach that coincidentally also has no breeze blowing the hair and sun that has no harsh light, casts no shadows and causes no squinting?  Apparently so.

Needless to say, these variables were NOT on this inexperienced photographer's radar.  In the 3 photography classes I have taken, I learned about aperture, shutter speed, the exposure triangle, rule of thirds.  But I have no recollection about variables.  Must be in the advanced courses. 



















But I will say, because of this sweet family's willing and VERY patient attitude, in spite of this inexperienced photographer, the wind, the sun, and the people, we had a lovely evening.  I learned a LOT.  And hopefully it will grow me and prepare me for the next time.  

Yes, there will be a next time.  I WILL be searching for that illusive private beach though.

2 comments:

  1. You are well on your way to becoming an experienced photographer! Lovely photos that captured the joy, laughter, and love that characterize this sweet family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank "ewe" Debbie!! You are always so sweet to comment and give encouragement.

    ReplyDelete