Friday, November 14, 2014

Any plans for the evening?

A couple months back I posted a blog about my husband's and my trip out west.  I talked about how spontaneous my hubby can be when it comes to traveling.  Well, recently he pulled another spontaneous trip on me.  It began by him calling up (around 1:00 in the afternoon) and asking if we had any plans for that evening.  Me, thinking he was wanting to make dinner plans, casually said no.  He said, "Good.  I was thinking we could go out of town for the night.  Maybe a trip up to Amelia Island."  I hesitantly said, "OK" as my mind raced through what all I would need to do before leaving for the night and the next day.  My mother-in-law, who lives with us and needs care would need to have someone stay at the house with her.  The dogs would need to be fed and walked.  And of course, we would need to pack!  But OK it was.  Everything fell in place and we were able to have those concerns met (thanks to my daughter being willing to spend the night with grandma).  By 4:00 we were out the door and on our way to Amelia Island, FL.  Just a short 30 minute drive north from Jacksonville.  My hubby had secured a room for us at a great place there on the island. 

 We stayed at this neat old inn called Elizabeth Pointe Lodge.  We felt like we had been transported to Nantucket.  It definitely had a "New England" feel about the place. 
 
 




The inn is located right on the Atlantic ocean side of Amelia Island.  That's one of the great things about living in Florida, even in mid-November, you can go stay by the shore and still be able to have a nice stroll on the beach.  It was a bit chilly, but that added to the "New England" feel!



The service was impeccable.  They make you feel at home right when you walk in the door.  Like a guest staying at their house.
 
 
And I love that they use regular keys to get in the rooms!
 
 
We kept the windows open so the sound of the soft crashing of the waves lulled us to sleep.  And we woke to this view from our room the next morning.  Ahhhh!  Can my husband pick them, or what?
 

 
The breakfast in the dining room was equally relaxing.  They had a full buffet to choose from, including eggs, sausage and bacon, home fried potatoes, breads, oatmeal and cereal.
 

 
Plenty of spaces to relax and unwind.
 

But we preferred the time together on the beach.  Being off season, it was pretty quiet.
 

Except for the amazingly large number of birds.  Migrating maybe?  I don't know, but I love taking pictures of birds on the beach, so I was a happy camper!
 


 

 
The small town of Fernandina on the island isn't without it's charms.  There are lots of neat little local shops and restaurants to choose from. 
 
 


 
And the island also has a lot of history.  We visited an old cemetery dating back to the mid 1800's.
 


 
 
On the way out of town, we stopped for lunch at a little dive called T- Ray's.  It's a hamburger stand located in an old gas station that has been turned into a diner.
 
 
 
 
 
 
So the next time my hubby calls in the middle of the day and suggests we break away, even for just one night, I won't hesitate to say "OK!".  This little get away was perfect and the time spent together was priceless!

 


1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a wonderful time with your sweet hubby! Great photos! I may have to visit that Inn with my own sweet husband sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete