Thursday, August 28, 2014

A Chest full of Memories

My dad is the youngest of 16 children.  His oldest sister, Echo was 21 years old when he was born.   There may have been a lot of years between them, but my dad was still close to his oldest sibling.  She was a quilter.  When we visited her, she would proudly show us her newest creation.  She kept many of her quilts in a cedar chest at the foot of her bed.   After Aunt Echo passed away a few years ago, my mother received the old cedar chest from the family.  She had no need of it, so she asked me if I would like it.  I have always wanted a chest at the foot of my bed, so I was happy to be the recipient of such a special piece of furniture.  Especially after learning that my aunt's son, Paul made it in wood shop.  I would use it to store the quilted treasures I have of my Aunt Echo's making.


 
This is the chest in it's original state.  I will say, my aunt kept it in mint condition.  It had to be around 50 to 60 years old.
 
 
As nice as it was, you know I couldn't keep my hands off of it!

 
So, I grabbed my chalk paint, and got busy.  The Annie Sloan Country Grey was left over from painting my kitchen cabinets.  I had almost a full quart left. 

 
The great thing about Annie Sloan Chalk Paint is, no sanding or priming needed.  Just grab your brush and go for it!  Typically it takes 2 coats.  I allow about an hour of drying time in between coats.  When it is dry to the touch, you are safe to add the second coat.

 
After the second coat is dry, if desired you can distress your piece.  Using a light to medium grade sanding block, you can sand off a little or a lot.  Whatever is your preference.  I like to have just a bit of a worn look to my furniture.  I do love the look of the really distressed pieces, but I always chicken out.  One of these days, I'm going to go for it! 

 
 
Once the distressing is completed, you wax your piece of furniture.  I take a small amount of the soft white wax and put it on a paper plate.  A little goes a long way.  Using your waxing brush, you apply the wax in a circular motion.  Really trying to get it into the paint. 
 
 
 
As you can see in the picture, the wax does slightly change the color of the paint.  I work in small sections.  I apply wax to a section about a foot to 18 inches square.  Then I take a clean soft cloth and buff.  You buff the wax until it is smooth and doesn't feel tacky.  Work through the entire piece waxing and buffing as you go.  The wax will provide the protective finish.  Once the buffing is complete, your piece is ready to be used.  But keep in mind, it takes a couple days for the wax to completely cure, or harden. 
 
 
 
Now, for the rest of the story.  When I finished painting the chest with the Country Grey, I wasn't happy with the way it looked in the bedroom, so I ran down to our local store that carries the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and chose a different color.  I landed on Paris Grey.  I mixed it 50/50 with Old White.  When I did the distressing, the Country Grey showed through, giving extra layers in the distressing which I liked even better.  So the lesson learned here is, keep tweaking until you get the finished product you want.  This paint is so easy to work you won't mind a few extra coats.
 
 
 
I picked a yellow and white Moroccan fabric to contrast the navy toile on the bed.  I love the way the grey plays off the yellow in the cushion.  I also like that the chest is different from the bed and dresser.  Not so matchy, matchy. 
 
I am happy to have a part of my Aunt Echo's history in my home, and happy to use it in the same way she did.  Storing a few of her beloved quilts. 
 
 
If you would like to learn how to cover a cushion like I made to go on the cedar chest, I will be posting a tutorial soon. 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment